Wednesday, January 27, 2010

We Struggle, We learn, We Grow... -Tom Fritts

(Sometimes someone else’s story helps ours. A confusing young life can lead u to be a stronger person. There is more to a person then what you see on the outside. Things will happen in a persons life to make them the person they are. Why do we forget that? -Chris.)

We Struggle, We learn, We Grow, and We can be stronger because of it.

By Tom Fritts

I guess I don’t really know why I’m writing this. When Chris asked me to write for this page I didn’t know exactly what to write about. So what the hell, ill give it a try.
My life was pretty normal as a kid, hanging out with friends, legos, camping with the family, fishing trips. It seemed like a great start. Then age 14 hit. My father lost his job so he and my mom both started working day jobs. So money quickly became tight and tensions grew. I started isolating myself from the family, going to friends places all the time. By the time I hit 16 I started hanging out with the older kids some even in college. I experimented with alcohol and drugs. Constantly coming home late with a buzz on or skipping class. By this time I was trying to see where I stood even sexually. I guess I always knew I was different. My parents saw texts from a guy I was interested in on my phone and without me knowing started watching more closely. Sure enough they caught me with someone. Immediately they decided they needed to “fix” me. 3 times a week I had to meet with someone at a local church and talk about how im sinning and that I’m basically going to hell. Personally I never have believed in God. I believe in the science of evolution. So I just thought this lady was freakin’ nuts. Plus I had to waste a perfectly good Thursday night with her every week. I started skipping the meetings too, I hated that my home was so disapproving of me. So I went out even more. Going to college parties and trying anything my friends would hand me. I was actually having a good time with them. They didn’t give a crap what my sexuality or beliefs were. By the time I was 17 almost 18, my father kicked me out of the house when he caught me smoking in the bathroom with my friend.
I packed my things and moved into the basement of my friends place. It was a bit skechy but his mom was the sweetest person I ever met, she encouraged me to apply to schools, told me about industrial design, and told me that I had a natural talent for the career. Once I moved to NYC and started school here at the art institute I made my new family, my friends.. I couldn’t ask for more. Yeah maybe it’s a bit dysfunctional, but their all I have they support me, love me and care for me. We go out we party, concerts, prank and all the other stuff that people would see as trouble or “bad Kids”. Maybe I did make bad decisions. But I never would have done differently if I had another chance.
I try to call my home once a month, but usually I never get an answer.. so I leave a voice mail just talking about how my life is going. I know my mom loves me so much. And she always has. And god I miss her so much. I wish she stood up to my father and told me I could have stayed. I also talked to my younger sister regularly. She means the world to me, and she always will. Now that she’s gone. I have realized. Life is so short. And I’m not about to change for anyone.
I am happy with myself. Some may be disappointed or feel pity on my past, but I’m happy it happened. I could never be here right now. I’d rather not have life be easy. I’m so over people judging me and telling me how to live. That’s up to me. I don’t wanna deal with regrets when I’m older. I wanna do what I want now. Sometimes that’s where love starts. loving and accepting yourself.

Live life.. no regrets..

Tommy Fritts

0 comments:

Post a Comment